The Ballard Funeral Home, 910 South Main St., Roswell, New Mexico, was founded by the late Bert M. Ballard in 1932. The first location of the firm was in the 100 block of West Third St. in downtown Roswell. In 1942 the firm was moved to its present location when Mr. Ballard purchased the historic residence of D.D. Swearingen.
Mr. Ballard immediately remodeled the residence by adding a funeral chapel and a casket display room. In 1964 additional remodeling included the addition of the stately columns on the front of the building, extensive interior remodeling, and developing the quarter-block fenced parking area.
Also in 1964, the Ballard Funeral Home at 205 Inverness, in Hagerman, New Mexico, was established as a full-service funeral home to better serve the residents in the southern part of Chaves County.
Following the death of Mr. Ballard in 1968, the firm was acquired by a group of former employees, headed by Joseph R. Lucas, and Raymond Otero. Ballard Funeral Home is now independently owned by Michael Soper and Taylor Greene, who purchased the business in July of 2002. In 2004, a crematory was added on site to further serve the needs of Roswell and the surrounding communities.
Raymond Otero has been apart of Ballard Funeral Home since 1963 and continues with the firm as General Manager today. Larry C. Stiles has been with the firm since 1973, and is the Assistant Manager. Rodney Eakin is the Funeral Service Attendant.
Nicole O. Romero has served as the office manager since 2005, and Nancy Mather is the Regional Bookkeeper and has been a part of Ballard since 1999.